Inventory and Monitoring Guide
PARC Inventory and Monitoring Guide
PARC completed a comprehensive guide to inventory and monitoring of amphibians and reptiles in North America!
Inventory and Monitoring: Recommended Techniques for Reptiles and Amphibians, with application to the United States and Canada
Editors:Gabrielle J. Graeter, Kurt A. Buhlmann, Lucas R. Wilkinson, and J. Whitfield Gibbons
The PARC Inventory and Monitoring: Recommended Techniques for Reptiles and Amphibians book provides an excellent resource for biologists, land managers, consultants, and particularly those who are non-herpetologists, to understand the animals in their geographic area of interest. This project has been supported by the US Forest Service and the Department of Defense, which allows us to make the book available at a low cost ($50) with any proceeds returned directly to amphibian and reptile conservation efforts via our funds managing partner, the Amphibian & Reptile Conservancy
This book differs from other recent book projects [e.g., Reptile Diversity (University of California Press); Amphibian Ecology and Conservation. A Handbook of Techniques (Oxford University Press)] in the following ways:
The PARC Technical Report - Inventory and Monitoring: Recommended Techniques for Reptiles and Amphibians:
- Includes both Amphibians AND Reptiles
- Is written for target audiences that include:
1. Government agency land managers or biologists (e.g., US Forest Service, US Fish & Wildlife Service, and state fish & wildlife agency personnel)
2. Environmental consultants
3. Researchers, biologists, or land managers without herpetological background or training
- Has a summary of each sampling technique that differentiates between use for inventory versus monitoring, outlines the utility and limitations of each, and provides a detailed list of equipment necessary for each technique
- Contains a reference matrix listing all U.S. and Canadian species by PARC region and indicates suggested techniques for every species for two levels of inventory (short-term and comprehensive) and two levels of monitoring (presence/absence and population status).
- Was designed to apply to PARC regions of the United States and has applicability to Canada and northern Mexico
- Has color photography demonstrating specific techniques
We're happy to announce that hard copies of the I&M manual are now available to purchase on Amazon!
To purchase: follow this link to the Amazon listing and click "Add to cart" on the right side of the page. You can then proceed to checkout, or click "cart" to update the quantity.
We're offering a special deal for bulk orders: for every 15 books, you will receive $100 off. This discount should appear in your cart at checkout. Please make sure you see the discount before completing your purchase.